Saturday, January 28, 2012

98th Rose Bowl: My 2nd Rose Bowl

On January 2nd, I went to the 98th Rose Bowl. It was my 2nd year in a row going. This year, the Wisconsin Badgers were playing the Oregon Ducks. At first, I wasn't going to go because I got my mom's ticket last year. My mom's friend who played for Wisconsin in college ended up coming. Because he came, I got to go. I went with my mom, dad, my parent's friend (John), my mom's friend (Mike), and his son (Zachary).
Before the game, we were tailgating. While everyone else was drinking I was playing football with John, my dad, and Zachary. When all of them stopped playing, a man came up to us. He said his sons wanted to know if they could play with me. He said he played football. We played for a little while. Everyone was looking at his throws and saw him limping so much that we figured that he was a quarterback. Then Mike went over. It turned out he was Tony Graziani!

At the end of the first quarter the score was 14-14. The score at halftime was 28-28. After the third quarter, the score was 38-35 and the Badgers were leading the Ducks. And, in the highest scoring Rose Bowl ever, the score was 45-38 and Oregon won! Three ways Wisconsin could've won were not fumbling in the same play as a huge gain, Russel Wilson spiking in with no time left, or the refs made the right call and said that there was 1 second left when he spiked it.

Here are some stats:

Wisconsin:

Wilson: 19/25 passing, 296 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, 1 interception, 6 rushing attempts, 18 rushing yards, and 1 rushing touchdown

Ball: 32 rushing attempts, 164 rushing yards, and 1 touchdown

Toon: 104 receiving yards and 1 touchdown

Abbrederis: 119 receiving yards and 1 touchdown

Henry: 1 interception returned for 18 yards

Oregon:

Thomas: 17/23, 268 passing yards, 3 touchdowns, 1 rushing yard, and 1 interception

James: 25 carries, 159 yards, and 1 touchdown

Thomas: 2 carries, 155 yards, and 2 touchdowns

Tuinei: 158 receiving yards, 2 touchdowns

Alonso: 1 interception

Here is a picture of me, Zachary, Mike, my dad, Tony Graziani, and his sons:


Who did you want to win?

Have you ever been to a Rose Bowl? Which one?

2 comments:

Mark L. said...

Dear Jaden,

Great post on the Rose Bowl. I disagree with you though. I think the referee made the right call when he spiked it.

Jaden said...

@ Mark,

Thanks! If you were there you would've agreed to me. I was sad. They lost two years in a row by a very small amount both times! First 21-19. Next 45-38!

Sincerely,
Jaden